Located on the corner of Wellington and Jells Roads Wheelers Hill, Mulgrave Country Club has been in operation since 1961. It is one of Melbourne’s most significant member owned clubs, offering sports including Bowls, Tennis, Squash, Social Golf, Snooker, Darts and Cricket.
In the 1950’s and early 1960’s, this area was largely farmland, predominantly market gardeners, a few small businesses and a sprinkling of private residences.
The local watering hole, the Wheelers Hill Hotel, was where the hard working locals rewarded themselves with a cold drink at the end of a long hard day.
The publican of the Wheelers, Mr George Dixon, was liberal in his interpretation of the rules regarding 6 o’clock closing until a new licensing inspector caused a change of attitude. Being unable to acquire drinks after 6 o’clock was cconsidered to be most unsatisfactory and it was suggested that the group establish a club and thus more liberal drinking arrangements.
A meeting, attended by 18 hardworking and thirsty gentlemen, was held on the 14th December 1960 where Les Allen was appointed Acting President and John Boucher appointed Acting Secretary/Treasurer.
The meeting proposed the formation of a non-profit club for social and recreation entertainment and the purchase of approximately 5 acres of land, on which a clubhouse and ‘say’ bowling greens, tennis courts etc. could be erected (Photo above: the first club house).